Venue Tollymore Forest Park
Date Sat, 22nd Aug 20
Starts 10:00 to 13:00 iCal file iCal
Back to Forest Orienteering!
After a fantastic return to open hill orienteering at Meelmore, LVO are now back in the forest at Tollymore on Saturday 22 August.
Again the team have been working very hard to make this event possible within current restrictions, so please read the information below carefully as it contains several important details which differ from previous orienteering events.
Registration, Start Times and Closing Time
- Registration will be at the upper car park in Tollymore Forest Park, open after 10:00am
- Start times will be pre-allocated, from 10:30 to 13:00.
- Courses close at 15:00, at which time controls will be lifted.
Pre-entry ONLY via SIEntries.
Entries open on Friday 7th August and numbers are limited.
Please read through and agree to this information and guidance before clicking on the Entries link at the bottom of the page.
- Senior (year of birth 1999 or before): Members £7 (non-members £9)
- Junior / Student: Members £3 (non-members £4)
- Family (maximum charge**): Members £17 (non-members £22)
* * If you are entering a family and it comes to more than £17 (if members or £22 if non-members) then please contact the organiser after you have paid for the individual Senior, or Junior/Student entries and we will arrange refund of the difference.
Timing will be SI Air only; SIACs will be available to borrow for free (lost SIACs will be charged at £30).
Courses – Planner: Ric Gamble. Controller: Mark Stephens
- Green 4.7km, 150m climb
- Orange 2.3km, 85m climb
- Yellow 2.1km, 60m climb
Coronavirus Safety Measures
A number of measures have been put in place to provide for 2m Social Distancing and ensure your safety throughout this event. Please pay attention to them.
- Start Times are pre-allocated so that we can minimise the number of people at the various stages of the event. Please time your arrival to that you can register and get to the start just in time.
- During the event please use the hand sanitisers provided
- Do not touch the SI Control boxes except where an actual punch/dib is required.
- During the race please be aware of who is around you and try to maintain distance especially when approaching Controls.
- Please maintain your distance during any post-event socialising.
IMPORTANT – You MUST NOT attend the event if:
- You are Shielding
- You are unwell with a cough, fever or other Covid-19 symptoms
- You have been in close contact with anyone who is suspected of or confirmed as having Covid-19 in the 14 days before this event
- You are undergoing testing for suspected Coronavirus
- You have been out of the UK or Ireland within the last 14 days **EXCEPT from exempted countries – See the NI Direct website for the current rules and advice.
Tollymore Forest Park, Scale 1:10000
Parkland and open forest. The forest floor is dry and planning has tried to avoid summer vegetation to keep various route choices fair. There are many paths criss-crossing the map and a few small rivers and drainage channels, as well as a larger river which can be crossed by bridges.
To succeed at Yellow you should be able to follow line features, mainly paths, but also hedges and very obvious vegetation changes (open land and forest). There will be some simple route choice decisions to be made between controls.
For Orange you should be able to make route choices and take a rough compass bearing to cut some corners through forest. There are good catching features for all controls and usually an alternative route choice via a line feature. Full leg covering is advised due to brashing and some summer vegetation.
Green – very runnable, there will be plenty of route choice so quick decision making will be key to time gained or lost. Full leg covering is advised due to brashing and some summer vegetation.
Directions and Parking
- Car parking is free. Please use the upper car park where registration will be based. The forestry service have warned that on a few occasions during the holidays, they have closed the entrance gate to cars to manage numbers. If the weather is good the park could be busy, so I strongly advise you to arrive before 11:30am.
- The start is only 250m away (in the Monument field near the children’s play park) from registration.
- Please time your arrival to limit congregating in the car park- i.e. arrive in time for your pre-allocated start time but not excessively early. Access Tollymore Forest Park from the Bryansford Road. At the end of the long driveway you should see the start down to the left but take the right-hand fork to the upper car park for registration.
- The Finish will be close to Registration.
ALL competitors MUST download their times at registration even if they don’t finish the course. If you fail to download someone will be out looking for you unnecessarily.
The car park will be busy, please take care and supervise children. Be aware that forestry vehicles and machinery may also be encountered on roads and in competition area.
There are often horse riders and mountain bikers within the competition area. Please be careful not to surprise/spook them when running towards them or jumping out onto paths.
Although mostly very runnable there is some terrain with boulders, crags, slippery slopes and rough underfoot with chopped tree branches. Appropriate footwear with good grip is essential. There is one significant river which is planned to be crossed by the bridges on all courses.
Whistles will be compulsory. Please do not arrive without as you will not be allowed to run.
You are welcome to join us even if you are not a member of the club. Club members will be available to offer advice and assistance, just ask at registration.
There are toilets and a mobile coffee shop. There are also plenty of picnic tables.
Remember to respect current Social Distancing rules and space yourselves appropriately while you relax and catch up.
We need volunteers on the day to help at Registration, Starts, Download and Control Collection. Please get in touch with the Organiser, Gordon Stephens, Ric (email@example.com) or Juls (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can offer help. It will be much appreciated and you will of course still get a run!
Tollymore Forest Park