Venue Donard Forest
Date Tue, 27th Jun 23
Starts 18:45 to 20:30 iCal file iCal
⛰️ Mournes Evening Summer Series – MESS 3 ⛰️
Everyone welcome! Complete beginners, families, dogs, runners will all find a suitable course to enjoy. For more experienced orienteers there will be longer and technically challenging courses on offer to help hone your fitness and map reading skills.
📌 Donard Park Main Carpark – look for the yellow campervan. What three words: ///dolly.diamond.goofy
⏰ Starts 1845-1945 from the Main Carpark
⛔ Courses close 2045 – you must be back by 9pm so I can collect controls!
🗺️ £4 per map (feel free to share as a group)
📃To register and book a map, please use the Google Form: https://forms.gle/rWoaWBMk4AwFhNwr8. Please register by 9pm the day before, there will be limited map availability for on the day registrations.
4️⃣courses on offer:
- Beginner course ∼2km easy navigation along paths, check points at every junction (Technical difficulty 1, similar to a ‘White’ course)
- Improver course ∼3.5km on paths, a little more challenging navigation, 2 or 3 junctions to navigate between check points (Technical difficulty 2-3, similar to a ‘Yellow’ or easy ‘Orange’ course)
- Advanced course ∼3km both on paths and off paths (but not too far), some route choice and technical navigation required (Technical difficulty 4, similar to a ‘Light Green’ course)
- Expert course ∼4km mostly off path, generally a more physical course, with difficult navigation and significant route choices for experienced orienteers (Technical difficulty 5 where possible)
Not sure? Checkout some sample courses from the Taster event: MESS Taster Courses Facebook.pdf
- Make sure to return to registration after your run and ‘sign out’ so we don’t go looking for you! Remember courses close 2045 – if you return after this point, I will be out collecting controls. Please sign out using the sheet on the front windscreen of the yellow van.
- There will be no SI timing or ‘dibbers’ required.
- Sorry, no Maprun today 🙁
- Compasses will be required. There will be a small number available at registration to hire (£1) or buy (£10 plate compass, £15 thumb compass).
- If the weather looks damp, dress appropriately.
- Full leg cover will be required for the Advanced / Expert courses.
- Please be sure to check for Ticks after your run. There are deer in the terrain and Ticks have been reported on dogs and humans!
Hope to see you there 😎