Date Sat, 1st Aug 20
Starts 11:00 to 13:00 iCal file iCal
Welcome back !
We are pleased to be up and running again for our first post-Lockdown event. And what better location than Meelmore- let’s hope the view is as good as it was the other day when we were checking control sites!
The team has been working very hard to make this event possible within current restrictions, so please read the information below carefully as it contains several important details which differ from previous orienteering events.
Registration, Start Times and Closing Time
- Registration will be at Meelmore Lodge
- Start times will be pre-allocated, from 11:00 to 13:00.
- Courses close at 15:00, at which time controls will be lifted.
Pre-entry ONLY via SIEntries (see below). Numbers will be limited but there will be a waiting list.
Entries open midday this Saturday (18th)
- Senior (year of birth 1999 or before): Members £7 (non-members £9)
- Junior / Student: Members £3 (non-members £4)
- Family (maximum charge**): Members £17 (non-members £22)
* * If you are entering a family and it comes to more than £17 (if members or £22 if non-members) then please contact the organiser after you have paid for the individual Senior, or Junior/Student entries and we will arrange refund of the difference.
Timing will be SI Air only; SIACs will be available to borrow for free (lost SIACs will be charged at £30).
- Car parking £1 per car on the day – Cash only, no change given
- Green 4.4km, 140m climb
- Orange 2.4km, 95m climb
- Yellow 1.8km, 70m climb
Coronavirus Safety Measures
A number of measures have been put in place to provide for 2m Social Distancing and ensure your safety throughout this event. Please pay attention to them.
- Start Times are pre-allocated so that we can minimise the number of people at the various stages of the event. Please time your arrival to that you can register and get to the start just in time.
- During the event please use the hand sanitisers provided at Registration, the Start and the stile to maintain hygiene.
- Do not touch the SI Control boxes except where an actual punch/dib is required.
- During the race please be aware of who is around you and try to maintain distance especially when approaching Controls.
- Please maintain your distance during any post-event socialising.
IMPORTANT – You MUST NOT attend the event if:
- You are Shielding
- You are unwell with a cough, fever or other Covid-19 symptoms
- You have been in close contact with anyone who is suspected of or confirmed as having Covid-19 in the 14 days before this event
- You are undergoing testing for suspected Coronavirus
- You have been out of the UK or Ireland within the last 14 days **EXCEPT from exempted countries – See the NI Direct website for the current rules and advice.
Meelmore and Luke’s Mountain, Scale 1:10000
Open mountainside with lots of boulder and crag detail. Vegetation is mostly short and there are a few small sheep paths in addition to a single large track. There are a few small rivers and boggy areas, as well as a larger river.
It has been a beautiful summer but the Mournes are still damp underfoot in places so expect to get muddy!
To succeed at Yellow you should be able to follow line features such as streams, paths and walls, but also be able to make a couple of route choice decisions between controls. There aren’t that many line features on Meelmore so a couple of legs will be taped with red and white tape on canes.
At Orange you should be able to make a route choice, take a rough compass bearing and cut some corners, but there are good catching features for all controls and usually an alternative route choice via a line feature.
Green – not too much climb and generally very runnable. Have fun!
Directions and Parking
Please time your arrival to limit congregating in the car park- i.e. arrive in time for your pre-allocated start time (allowing for an 800m walk to the Start) but not excessively early. Access Meelmore Lodge from the Trassey Road (BT33 0QB) and take the right-hand fork from the gateway to the car park in the field behind the buildings.
Registration will be at the top of the field directly behind the café building. Start and Finish will be around 800m from Registration.
ALL competitors MUST download their times at registration even if they don’t finish the course. If you fail to download someone will be out looking for you unnecessarily.
The car park will be busy, and opens onto a public road. Please take care and supervise children. Farm vehicles (e.g. quad bikes) may also be encountered on the way to the Start/Finish and in the competition area.
There are often sheep roaming within the competition area. These are normally docile but please exercise caution around livestock.
The terrain is very rough with boulders, crags, slippery slopes and some quite deep hidden holes. Appropriate footwear with good grip is essential. There is one significant river (mostly shallow but fast-flowing) which will be crossed by the Green course. Young children should be accompanied or shadowed.
Whistles will be compulsory. Cagoules may be compulsory depending on weather. Please do not arrive without these items as you will not be allowed to run.
You are welcome to join us even if you are not a member of the club. Club members will be available to offer advice and assistance, just ask at registration. (Note: for insurance purposes you may attend two events as a non-club member but after that you need to join an orienteering club).
Meelmore Lodge have kindly provided us with parking facilities for this event, and as usual have been very welcoming and helpful- so please do make use of the excellent Hare’s Gap Bistro for a cuppa and a bun or lunch after your run! Remember to respect current Social Distancing rules and space yourselves appropriately while you relax and catch up. There are plenty of outdoor tables to make this possible.
- Organiser – Helen Pruzina
- Planner – Stephanie Pruzina
- Controller – Graeme Francis
…plus Volunteers! We need volunteers on the day to help at Registration, Starts, Download and Control Collection. Please get in touch with Helen (email@example.com) if you can offer help. It will be much appreciated and you will of course still get a run!