Venue Orangefield Park
Date Wed, 24th Apr 19
Starts 19:00 to 20:30 iCal file iCal
Sporteering is back! Meet at the Houston Road carpark at Orangefield Park and be ready to go for 7pm, you’ll have 60 minutes to catch as many Virtual Controls as you can. If you missed our previous Sporteering sessions (and they’re brill fun, think Pokemon Go but with a proper, printed orienteering map), keep scrolling down, which tells you how it all works.
NEW TO SPORTEERING? GIVE IT A GO! See below:
It’s urban score training, using a proper O map. But there are no controls out and no SI boxes! Instead you verify you have visited the correct location using your mobile phone! You have 60 minutes from the start to get to the finish collecting as many controls as you can. (Note the start is not at the assembly point so you do need to arrive by 7pm.) We will be well scattered across a large area – much bigger than a traditional park, but you can spend most of the time in the park if you wish. Please be mindful of residents, and other users of the area and be sure to obey the Highway Code at all times.
So what do you need to bring?
- An iphone or android phone with location (GPS) facility
- The Sporteering app already loaded. Search for “Sporteering” in the App Store or Google Play
- An account created in the Sporteering app
- Make sure your phone is well charged
- Close any apps that might drain the battery
- Change your display auto-lock so the screen stays on
- Make sure the location feature is turned on
- An armband for your phone is a great idea
- Hi viz clothing is strongly recommended
- Your running gear
- A watch
- A map bag if you have one spare (we’re trying to remove plastic waste from our training sessions).
- If you are under 16 then you need to be accompanied by an adult. STRICTLY ENFORCED!
- Bring £2 if you are club member, or £4 if not