Venue East Belfast
Date Wed, 27th Feb 19
Starts 19:00 to 19:00 iCal file iCal
Sporteering is back! Meet at Tim Horton’s, Connswater Retail Park. It’s a drive thru (so it’s not inside the retail building, it’s out by Starbucks and B&M Bargains)
Ready to go for 7pm, you’ll have 60 minutes to catch as many Virtual Controls as you can. If you missed our previous Sporteering sessions (and they’re brill fun, think Pokemon Go but with a proper, printed orienteering map), keep scrolling down, which tells you how it all works.
Then it’s all back to Tim Horton’s for refreshments 🙂
You will need to bring a headtorch, and a mobile phone with the Sporteering app on it. Bring a map bag if you have one spare (we’re trying to remove plastic waste from our training sessions). High visibility clothing strongly recommended. You will be crossing roads, in the dark, and drivers will not be expecting you. Take extreme care. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. This rule will be strictly enforced for your own safety. We will be well scattered across a large area – much bigger than a traditional NightO park or forest. Please be mindful of residents, and other users of the area.
NEW TO SPORTEERING? GIVE IT A GO! See below:
So what is Sporteering?
It’s urban score training, using a proper O map. But there are no controls out and no SI boxes! Instead you verify you have visited the correct location using your mobile phone!
So what do you need to bring?
- An iphone or android phone with location (GPS) facility
- The Sporteering app already loaded. Search for “Sporteering” in the App Store or Google Play
- An account created in the Sporteering app
- Make sure your phone is well charged
- Close any apps that might drain the battery
- Change your display auto-lock so the screen stays on
- Make sure the location feature is turned on
- An armband for your phone is a great idea
- Hi viz clothing is strongly recommended
- If you are under 16 then you need to be accompanied by an adult
- Bring £2 if you are club member, or £4 if not
- Your running gear
A head torch would be really handy too!!!
Everything else you need to know will be explained on the night!
Connswater Shopping Centre